Foundation and history of denominations

C

reated in response to the need to organize the tobacco industries with regard to the workers of the sector and government organs, the Tobacco Industries’ Union was acknowledged as a labor union on 24th June 1947. However, the history of the entity started on 4th December 1942, with the foundation of the Tobacco Industries’ Professional Association, with its place of business at the seat of the Commerce, Industry and Agriculture Association of Santa Cruz do Sul.

The year it was acknowledged as a labor union, in 1947, under the denomination of Tobacco Industries’ Union of Santa Cruz, the territorial range comprised the municipalities of Santa Cruz do Sul, Candelária, Venâncio Aires, Lajeado, Cachoeira do Sul and Arroio do Meio. On 29th December 1978, a ruling by the Minister of Labor changed the denomination to Tobacco Industries’ Union of Santa Cruz do Sul. On 22nd June 1980, Sindifumo’s territorial range was extended to the entire state of Rio Grande do Sul.

As tobacco has also been grown for decades in Santa Catarina and Paraná, the entity has for years been working on behalf of the sector in those two States, where most of its associated companies contract integrated farmers, operate tobacco buying centers (subsidiaries) and process tobacco. Therefore, Sindifumo’s work effectively occurs in the three Southern States of Brazil.

Under the denomination of Brazilian Tobacco Industry Union, for several years the entity’s place of business was the company the president worked for.

 The meetings of the union used to take place in social halls of affiliated companies, but general assemblies were normally held in one of the most traditional and long-existing social clubs in town – Club União. In 1977, the entity began to operate in a leased building in downtown Santa Cruz do Sul, with a meeting hall, and an administrative structure was established, initially with one employee only. In 1980, the entity moved to its own building, where it still operates.The first board of directors of the entity comprised representatives of  Cia. de Fumos Santa Cruz (presidency), F.C.Tatsch e Filhos (treasury) and Kliemann & Cia. (secretariat). The first fiscal council consisted of representatives of the following companies: Fábrica de Fumos Sul Brasileira, Albino Petry and Cooperativa Agrícola Rio Pardinho. The composition of the board, consisting of a president, treasurer and secretary, besides the fiscal council, was maintained until 1978. From that year onward, on the grounds of statutory alterations, the entity’s new structure consisted of a president and six vice-presidents, and a fiscal council. In the late 1980s, soaring demand for matters related to international trade and environmental affairs, induced the entity to create two new vice-presidencies to deal with such matters.

In 2008, with an eye towards adjusting the image of the entity to a product predominantly destined for the international market – nowadays, 85% of the entire production is exported – SindiFumo changed its denomination to SindiTabaco. In late 2009, another change took place: the already consolidated work carried out in Santa Catarina and Paraná was acknowledged through the extension of the range of the entity now known as SindiTabaco – Brazilian Tobacco Industry Union. In 2010, again seeking to protect the market, reached base for the country, excepting the states of Bahia, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, under the name Interstate Tobacco Industry Union – SindiTabaco.

[ Português ]